Siemens Step7 TIA Portal
Below are the Agent system requirements to configure a Copia Agent for the backup of Siemens Step7 TIA Portal projects:
- You will need a licensed copy of Siemens Step7 TIA Portal (see supported versions) that is capable of backing up a Project from the Device(s). If there are many versions of a Project that will be managed by the Agent, each version should be installed. In addition, any additional vendor software must be licensed and installed on PC running the Copia Agent. (i.e. EDS files, Add-on's etc.). The Agent should be able to backup the project without error.
- Siemens Step7 TIA Portal on the Agent needs to be configured with a Start View of "Project View". This is accessible in the Options -> Settings menu within Siemens Step7 TIA Portal.
- The "logged in user" needs to be a part of the Siemens TIA Openness user group in Windows. See below for instructions:
- The Agent should be tested to confirm that it can backup the PLC(s) using the vendor software.
To configure a project for Siemens Step7 TIA Portal, you will need to already have a repository created with the Siemens Step7 TIA Portal
Click either of the Add a Project buttons in the Projects tab.
First, select the Repository which contains the Project file or directory.
Next, choose the Branch of the repository that the
.zap##file resides in. Our example repository only has a single branch, so we will select the "master" (or main) branch.
Select the Siemens Step7 TIA Portal
.zap##file that is intended for backup. Click the Next button to continue.
Enter a Name and Description for the Project. The name would often be the same name as the project for Siemens Step7 TIA Portal.
Click on the Create Project button to finish Project setup.
If this is not your first Project, and you have already created an Agent and Device, you can assign them to the project while creating it. You can always connect the Project to an Agent or Device at a later time.
You'll notice that any project you create will display a teal eyeball in the top right corner of the project card. This means that you are watching that project and therefore receiving notifications about its backup activity.
If you do not want to receive notifications for a given Project, simply click on the Watch button on the Project card to unwatch the Project.
You have added a Project to the Site. Our next step will be to add a Device and then link it to your Project.
A Siemens Step7 TIA Portal Device is the actual PLC that contains the Project data that will be backed up.
If your Siemens Step7 TIA Portal project contains multiple PLC's, you will need to repeat this process and create and link a "device" for each PLC in the project!
To create a new Device, select the Devices tab at the top of the interface and click on either of the Add a Device buttons.
In the form that pops up, seen below, there are multiple fields that will need to be populated. These fields are described below, in a list format.
In the form:
- Select Siemens PLC in the Device Type field.
- Enter a unique name in the Device Name field. A common choice may be "projectname_devicename", where devicename is the same as the next field.
- In the Device Name in Project field, enter the name of the PLC exactly how it appears in the Siemens Step7 TIA Portal project tree, as seen below.
- Enter a Description.
- Safety Password ****Required to backup/compare any Safety PLC
For Safety PLC's, you will need to enable the following option when downloading, to be able to upload from those devices:
- PC interface Enter the interface that is used to communicate with this PLC. The PC interface can be found in TIA portal shown here:
- Enter the subnet of the PLC in the Subnet Name field.
- Enter the IP address of the PLC in the IP Address field.
When finished entering the information, press Create Device. Your new device will be displayed in the Device tab.
Now that you've created your Device, it's time to link it to your Project. Click the caret in the device card and choose Edit Device.
On the bottom left, select the Link Device to Project dropdown, and choose the Project that should be associated with this Device.
Click the Save Changes button to finish linking.